Our heart and lung transplant unit, based at Harefield hospital, is the UK’s largest and most experienced centre for heart and lung transplants. The unit works with the Heart Science Centre, which is at the forefront of research into heart disease and transplantation.
Our dedicated transplant unit consists of two wards, with a total of 34 beds, most of which are in single or double rooms. Patients are admitted for transplant assessment, routine check-ups and unplanned admissions in the event of post-transplant complications (such as infection or organ rejection). We run a dedicated transplant follow-up clinic – our focus is on enabling patients to live the most normal and active life possible.
Transplant services at Harefield Hospital are supported by our specialist immunosuppression monitoring services, which includes the UK National Monitoring Service for Sirolimus.
- Non-heart beating donor lung transplantation
- Experience in performing Heterotopic heart transplantation
- Experience in live-lobar lung transplantation
- Experience of combined heart-kidney transplantation
- Use of mass spectrometry technology for monitoring immunosuppressant drug levels
- Application of plasmapherisis to treat acute antibody mediated rejection in heart and lung transplantation
- Short- and long-term mechanical circulatory support with ventricular assist devices (VADs)
- Application of LVADs to support recovery of the patient’s heart following dilated cardiomyopathy
Referrals for lung transplant have changed. Making a referral is now via an online digital pathway.
To refer a patient to the lung transplant team please use our online referral system.
REGISTER OR LOG ON
Referrals must be made by a healthcare professional. We do not accept patient self-referrals.
Referrals using the paper proforma are no longer accepted.
The online pathway provides:
- comprehensive and efficient online referral
- ability to share images and reports
- secure information transfer
- ability to track your patients’ progress and get real time updates
Please note the pathway is only accessible from within an NHS organisation to ensure security of patient information.
If you would like more information regarding use of the pathway please contact the Hospital to Home Team on firstname.lastname@example.org or
020 7352 8121 Ext 4411 (working hours Monday to Friday, 9am to 5pm).
If you wish to provide feedback on the online process you can do this directly through the 'Add Feedback' button accessible on the pathway.
Featured in the press
The Mail on Sunday featured Harefield patient Selwa Hussain – the only woman in the UK able to spend time at home with a total artificial heart – following an operation at the ‘world famous Harefield Hospital’.
Mrs Hussain told the Mail on Sunday that: "Harefield have been absolutely magnificent. They came up with a solution that allowed me to stay alive and to see New Year in with my family. For that I am eternally grateful." The piece, which explained how the £86,000 artificial heart was fitted during a six-hour operation performed by specialty doctor in cardiothoracic transplantation Miss Diana Garcia Saez, and assisted by director of transplantation, Mr Andre Simon, also made clear that Harefield is the only centre in the UK using the device.
Read the full story
There was further coverage on the ITV London news, Sky News, Daily Express, The Sun and Metro.