Royal Brompton Hospital's CF centre is one of the largest in Europe. It is a world leader in the development of new treatments and has become a model for other units in the UK and Europe.
We care for almost 700 adult patients with cystic fibrosis.
Information for doctors and healthcare professionals
Research, development and teaching
In association with the National Heart and Lung Institute, we have an active programme aimed at developing new treatments and spreading CF clinical expertise to other UK and European centres.
Many new treatments and services were pioneered here including:
- Aerosol antibiotics
- New methods of physiotherapy
- Medical treatment of bowel obstruction
- Heart / lung transplantation
- Clinical nurse specialist in CF
- Mobile home care service
Current clinical trials
- Multi-dose gene therapy trial
- Inhaled liposomal amikacin (Arikace)
- Vertex 105
- Vertex770 – open label
- PTC 124
- TIPPS (Tobramycin dry powder) compliance
A number of future trials are currently under negotiation.
Current research studies
- Understanding the best way to treat infective exacerbations
- DNA/molecular detection of pathogens in CF airways
- Gene modifiers of long-term survival – ‘Long-Life’ study
- Genetic, proteomic and metabonomic profiling in cystic fibrosis associated liver disease
- Survival at low lung function
- Optimal Vitamin D levels and replacement
- Education in CF-related diabetes – ‘DICE’
- Optimal physiotherapy techniques
- Exercise and physiotherapy
- Anxiety and depression in CF
- Gender gap in CF
- Optimal screening for CF-related diabete
- CF-CATS II (Cystic fibrosis - children and adults tai chi study)
Susan Madge, nurse consultant in cystic fibrosis, runs a highly successful course in managing the care of children and adults with cystic fibrosis, which is also available online.